Sunday, January 17, 2010

2009 Year in Review

Many of you might be wondering what happened to me/us. Yes, we're here. We still live in Nepal. What happened is that both of our cameras were stolen (mine in Nepal, Anuraj's was lost/stolen in the U.S.) and we just finally replaced them. And this leads into two reasons why I haven't blogged in 5 months! Reason #1: I wasn't sure how much people would appreciate narration, so I just didn't post. Reason #2: My inspiration totally and completely lacks. I think it's the environment. Brick and cement walls fence off everyone's property. Trash is strewn in the street. Crowds of people. Dirtiness. I have moments of seeing the bright side, but realize that I am a person of space and beauty. Aesthetics feeds me. Trees and grass feed me. My tolerance for lacking such things has increased but my inspiration has taken a hit.

So what else has happened? A brief synopsis of 2009:

January - April 2009: The highlight of this time were back to back visits from my cousin and cousin-in-law, Cara and Andrew and then friends from college: Steve and Gail Miller.

May/June 2009: Jill nearly goes insane. Power cuts (they call it "loadshedding") were up to 18 hours per day. We had 6 hours/day to whatever we needed with electricity: washing machine, internet, vacuum, etc. Living without lights at night is what really did me in. Thankfully, I had the repreive of America awaiting! Land of electrical abundance.

July/August 2009: July through August was another trip to the US. These don't happen often enough, but we will take what we get! This occasion was my sister Carrie's wedding.

August/September 2009: Life in Kathmandu continues. What does this mean? Anusha and I returned to our Monday playgroup...many of our friends had moved away over the summer, but the US embassy sent new families to replace them, and to our delight, we've made some wonderful new friends in the process. (Photos to follow). Tuesdays is another playgroup where we go to the park at the British Embassy then to the Nepal-Japan Children's Library where we have a 1-hour story/singing time. I started attending a bible study on Thursdays as well.

October is the month of 2 major hindu festivals, Desserah (or Dushain in Nepali) and Diwali (Tihar in Nepali)...We spent the time in Biratnagar were it was stinking hot! (90+degrees F in the bedroom!). Anusha loved the animals, as usual (cows, new baby goat) and we had the chance to see MCC friends Micah and Charlotte Shristi who live 30 minutes from Anuraj's parents place.

November/December 2009: I started my practicum, the last requirement for my masters degree. I was lucky that I didn't have to do this as soon as I moved to Nepal...took time to settle in and learn a few things about the coutnry, conflict, culture, etc. But finally the time came to finish up this requirement and get my degree! I'm doing an internship with Chemonics, International who's office is just a 15-30 minute car or bus ride from our house (this is close!). They have a USAID contract to work in Nepal with the political transition. I'm writing case studies on some of their projects. It's been good so far, valuable learning, stimulating, and a good way for me to get "back in the field." My time as a full-time stay-at-home mom was good...but I was getting bored and this opportunity was the shove I needed to get my butt out the door. It's also done wonders for my career- and personal-confidence. I think just having something other than home and kid and housecleaner to talk about!

What's up in 2010? Marla Burkholder, for one...a good friend from college who is coming to visit in March. Friends Lana & Andy Miller, who are serving with MCC in Cambodia are also coming in March. Anuraj's job is likely going to be phased out, come July, so he is looking for new opportunities and we are crossing our fingers. I'm also keeping my eyes open for possible jobs (in my ideal world, if Anuraj is working full time, it would be a part-time job!).

So, that's the quick year in review. Next post...Anusha highlights!!!

3 comments:

Marika said...

Thanks for the update! I understand what you mean about aesthetics. They can be really important to me, too. While pictures are wonderful, narration alone is valuable and appreciated too! Excited to hear about your job opportunity!

Ramona said...

I'm excited for you that Marla is coming to visit. Wow! Also, that you have completed your Masters I'm sure that feels great. I didn't understand what you exactly did with your internship, I'd like to learn more. Sounds like 2010 is off to a great start for you.

carrie said...

Remember that even if you lack inspiration, you can look to your daughter! Those who don't get to see her would love to know what you think are "mundane" - what she is up to in day-to-day life :-)