Things here in Nepalgunj seem to be a little better. Today, the “curfew” (time frame when people are required to stay in their residence) was lifted not only in the morning, but all afternoon and evening too. Since all the banks were closed, we weren’t able to withdraw money to go out to market and buy some more things that we need. So, we’ll have to wait until Sunday. Today I made “Good Friday Vegetable Soup” from More with Less cookbook. I thought, in light of lent, and the fact that today is Friday, it was kind of fitting.
So far, I’m finding this place very calm and good for my soul. We bought our vegetables at a few different stands, and when I was cooking, I was thinking how, when I pray for my meal, this time I’ll know who’s hands brought me this food. While things here in Nepal are not nearly as clean as the U.S., I’m realizing that there is something somewhat sterile to life in the U.S. Not only in cleanliness, but in how we live – so removed from our neighbors, animals, our food, you name it. I guess, in some ways, it’s safer that way, but I have to admit, in my first week here in Nepalgunj, there is something life-giving to living next to goats, cows and a slew of neighbors (we’ll see how I feel in a few months!).
Anusha is doing well…she’s actually taking 1-2 hour morning and afternoon naps (and she’s not running a fever)! She loves the animals and she doesn’t mind when people come up to her and pinch and poke her face (and they poke hard!).
I have not been able to post these things until now due to my internet…it’s dial up via cell phone and it is slow. I hope to post pics somewhere soon. It all depends on connection (hoping I don’t get booted off internet) and how long Anusha naps. This also explains why I haven’t emailed anyone – my deep apologies. I want to, believe me! If you want to call, my mom has my cell phone number (our land line has been on the brink). Love and missing you all!
5 comments:
Thanks for the updates Jill! I've been thinking about you a lot in the past two weeks. My prayers are with you.
Dawn
PS -- you write very well!
I've been wondering how you've been, and was excited to see so much to read when I checked this morning! :-) It sounds like a very interesting place to be right now, I'm praying for your continued safety and good cultural adjusting.
Thanks for the updates. I love the fact that you rode a rickshaw! I am glad to hear you have already started meeting and talking with some people. Much love to all of you.
Thanks for the updates! I'm glad that things seem to be going well for you...considering some of the inconveniences and disturbances.
Thinking of you!
Lana
Finally we catch up to you. We pray that life continues to be 'routine'for you. We moved Poppa Fred to apartment in Walnut Hills. He's loving it. Making arrangements for Marla - she is going to have RAs dress revised again (Minnette wore it earlier). See you then?
Love to all.
Post a Comment