On Saturday, February 15, we leave Katmandu for Nepagunj. Anusha and I have had a wonderful time in Katmandu staying with Anuraj’s sister and her family. Some of the highlights included: eating pizza and momo’s (like soft veggie wontons) one night, going to Pashpati Temple – Anusha went into the temple with her aunt Shilpi, but I couldn’t go in because there is a strict “no foreigners allowed” rule for temples in this country. That day, Anusha probably saw more animals in one day than she had in her whole life: roadside dogs, chickens, cows, goats, monkeys. I had lunch and visited with an American woman (who is a daughter to some people who go to church with my folks). She had been in Nepal for 3 years 13 years ago and is now back with her family. I got the lowdown on cleaning vegetables and just enjoyed the nice visit.
By the middle of the week, Anusha was feeling much better and energized to play with her cousin Subumb during the days. It was pretty warm outside, so we hung out there. I also took some naps with her early on in the week, catching up on sleep. We’ve been waking up around 6:30 a.m. and for anyone who knows me knows this is early. But we’re waking up refreshed! Hopefully we can keep up this habit. Anuraj has been busy getting the house in order – just enough for me to feel like I can move in. We’ll be doing some more shopping when I am with him – to get some nice plates and glasses, curtains and some of that decorative stuff. I’m looking forward to that part.
Situation in Nepal: There continue to be random strikes, prices of vegetables are supposed to double or triple today, and there is a major fuel shortage. Deepak-ji, my brother in law, has been waiting for a few days to get fuel for his car so he can take me to the US Embassy. Luckily, he’s not one of the many who are standing in line for 12 -24 hours!
I’m grateful that Anusha and I had this time to be in Katmandu with Shilpi (Anuraj’s younger sister) and her family. It was a good place for Anusha and I to rest and get a little acclimated before being on our own. It’s also been a real blessing to get to know Shilpi and her family on my own – without Anuraj having to act as the translator.
No comments:
Post a Comment