Thursday, May 5, 2011

Only in NYC, #2

Man Escapes from Hospital?



Yesterday Anusha and I were heading to the bus stop after a lovely indoor picnic lunch with our pastor in the Gramercy Park area.  It was raining, the sidewalks were strewn with puddles, everything was damp.  After crossing a road, I looked up to see a man in scrubs running.  No umbrella, no raincoat.

My first thought was, "Why would a doctor be running down the road?"

Then I noticed his feet.  He was running through the rain with socks on.  Only socks.

My second thought was, "Did this guy just escape from the hospital or mental hospital?"

He whizzed by us, and as I'm considering this oddity, I look to see a man, one or two blocks down,  in a dark blue uniform, on his walkie talkie, running.

My third thought was, "This guy definitely just escaped!"

Another uniformed man rounds the corner.  The first one passes me. Then the second.  I stand to watch.  The man in scrub, young-ish, maybe in his 20s or 30s and slightly heavy-set, is walking.  He turns around only to see the two uniformed men running after him.  He runs again.

A nanny sees me standing and watching and says, "Do you know what's going on?"
"I think that guy just escaped from the hospital or something," I reply.
"I thought it was strange that a doctor would be running down the street."  She said.

We watched.  We chuckled in disbelief.  Then we each went our own way.  I continue heading down the road and watch as, one at a time, three more men in uniforms round the corner.  Just as I see the last one go, I look to the right and notice a big sign, "Beth Israel Medical Center."

Yep, we just witnessed an escape!

No comments: